Monday, July 11, 2011

Setting goals

Here's a cute picture of the boys on the 4th of July. And I'll include one with me in it too. Although with me in it, it's not as cute.
I lost my cute factor a couple of years ago I think. ;) We had a great 4th celebration with my mom and dad and fireworks and parades. No one does the fourth of July like small town America in my opinion.





















The day after the 4th is my birthday. Every year, just like clock work. No skips or breaks.

I don't know about you but my birthday always causes me to be a little reflective, even introspective. What I came up with this year is that I am a horrible goal setter. Or maybe I'm a horrible goal keeper? Or maybe, just maybe, it's both? Yes. Both. But I am realizing that goals are good, beneficial, healthy, and smart. So I am going to try it out. Goal setting. I read in Craig Groeschel's book "Weird' that he doesn't do multiple goals in a year, he prays and asks God what the 'one thing' he should change in his life that year is. This makes a lot of sense to me, but when I tried to think of 'one thing' my brain overloaded and nearly broke. Picture my head with steam shooting out of it and my hair flying off my scalp! How do you stop with one thing, when there are so many things that need fixing? Now the theory that he offered was that when you try and do many things, you end up changing nothing. By focusing on 'one thing' you may actually not give up and in a moment of self pity, drive through the culver's drive-thru and order a large snickers concrete mixer, double on the snickers. Right? Cause that's pretty much how I deal with my failures. By setting a goal I am choosing to be intentional about my day. Intentional is not a new word to me, it is a word that God has been whispering into my life over the past few years. You see, I'm really good at 'fly by the seat of my pants', but I'm really bad at intentional. And a life well lived, an obedient life, needs intentional.

And goals help.

So I'm gonna try it.

Just gotta figure out what that 'one thing' is that God wants me to change, is.

Wanna join me?
Pin It

No comments: