Monday, December 17, 2012

To Whom Much is Given


Here are a few photo's from our Thanksgiving celebration.
I think this is the first time I cooked the bird in my own home. I still had my mom to help me though.
Even though it would be an intimate dinner for 7, I wanted to make it special.  So I went to Pinterest and found these cute owls made out of paper sacks. 
I thought they would make cute place cards.
I put the boys, and my friend Megan, to work.
I think they let her do all the hard stuff.
It's really hard to teach chivalry.
Is there chivalry when it comes to cutting and pasting?


Seth had his duties, and Tate had his. Between the two of them, they finished them up. Although it's a good thing they had al day.


They were a pretty easy craft and they were made with things I already had on hand.  Considering how long I had  all of the supplies, they were basically free for us to make.
I think the little guys helped make our table look festive. I don't do center pieces. Although pretty, they are also annoying. Either you can't see the person across the table, or there isn't enough room for food.  I am a firm believer that people only do center pieces for magazine pictures and for those dining rooms that are always set but never used.


Since Wyat's cutting skills aren't up to snuff for circles yet and he needs to be monitored when glue is around, I made him my assistant baker. He strapped on an apron and had a ball mixing,
dumping,
and licking.
I figure that's half the reason you bake things in a hot oven. So it kills the bacteria.
Right?


This is my favorite. Just look at how cute he is, concentrating on getting the crust just right.
Sigh*


 We made a Walnut Streusel Pumpkin Pie that was a hit with the hubs, and not too complicated. We also made another dessert, because pumpkin pie makes me gag.
We made this beautiful Peach-Blueberry Crumble Tart.
It was YUM!
I got both recipe's from the Oct/Nov 2012 issue of Taste of Home Magazine.
I like that magazine a lot, but I like it's sister magazine Simple and Delicious even more.


Even though I'm the only person that gags on pumpkin pie, everyone wanted to try my dessert too. So I only got one piece. Don't feel sorry for me though. It was a good piece.
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.
I love that it hasn't been commercialized and we get together simply to enjoy one another's company and to express our gratitude for the year behind us and before us.
There was such abundance at our table.  Not only an abundance of food, which we had more than enough of, but family, health, love, joy, God, and so much more.
I couldn't help but think about those around the world who don't have as much as I do.  Those who would do almost anything to possess what I too often take for granted.  Those who, if were allowed to sit at my table would have gorged themselves sick on better food than they have ever eaten in their life. Or those who would have been sickened by what we throw away after we are done. Those who would have sat in tears at the opportunity to join hands with family.  Those who don't know the love of Christ.
I have so much.
The Bible says "Everyone to whom much is given, of him much will be required." (Luke 12:49)
I have been given much.

I need to give much. 
We all have something we can give. Whether it's a kind word, money, companionship, food, love or help.  There is some way we can give of ourselves, our time, our resouces, to another.
I'm going to spend this year praying about what God wants me to give.
And then I'll pray for the strength to do it.

Pin It

No comments: