Friday, February 15, 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Valentine's Day wouldn't be complete without a delicious dessert.  
In memory of my beloved Grandmother who made me a Red Velvet cake for all of my Birthdays, except the year I made her tint it blue instead, we made Red Velvet.
Also, because Red Velvet goes along with the red and white Valentine's color scheme.
I did not use Grandma's recipe, instead I turned to Pinterest to find something a little bit easier.
Pinterest never disappoints.


I picked these zebra striped Wilton baking cups at our 
local Wal-Mart.
I thought they added just the right amount of wildness to our cupcakes. 


Then we got to the task of mixing up our batter.  The best part of Red Velvet is it's beautiful red color. 
 My friend Mikayla lent me a hand with the baking.  Actually she lent me two, buts that's not how the phrase goes.


Wyat is always around to help with the baking as well.  
You can see what part he likes to 'help' with the most.


Oooh, there's our pretty batter!  
Looks like a bowl of blood.
Well it does! 
Come on, give me a break, I live with boys!




Our cupcakes took exactly 18 minutes to bake.  I over filled most of the cups, I guess they really only need to be half full. Fortunately they still turned out okay.


Aren't they pretty? We topped them off with some really yummy cream cheese frosting.  I used a zip-loc bag and just cut off the corner.  That worked so much better than trying to spread it on. Plus it looks prettier too. 


These cupcakes get a 5 star rating in my book. 
I'd share the link with you.  But I can't find it! Good thing I wrote down the recipe.  I'll keep looking for it and when I find it, I'll come back and post the link. 
Otherwise just search around pinterest yourself! You'll find lots of delicious options to choose from.


Pin It

No comments: