Saturday, June 2, 2012

Double Digit Day

My oldest son celebrated his 10th birthday today. 

That means 10 years ago I was in the hospital giving birth to my first child. 

10 years!

I still have vivid memories of that day, and lots of blurry ones of the days that followed. 
It seems so long ago.
It seems like such a short time ago!

So much has changed in ten years, not just my boy, but the world we live in. I mean, I can't even post a baby picture of him because he was born before we owned a digital camera.  I was totally against digital when it first came out, I refused to cross over.  Can you believe it?

I'm pretty sure we were getting our internet thru aol's free 6 week trials.  We'd sign up for the trail, enjoy internet for 6 weeks, then we'd cancel, invent a new e-mail address and do another 6 week trial. I guess that was cheating.

I drove a Dodge Spirit, aka the Red Racer. That's the first car I brought my little baby home in.
Now I drive a mini van.  I actually think my mini van is cooler than that car.  Seriously! My van has youtube videos that were made about it.  Or about the swagger wagon, as it's sometimes called.  http://youtu.be/ql-N3F1FhW4 check it out - this video is hilarious.  If you are a parent, you'll be able to relate.


When I first brought this little helpless baby home,  I had no parenting skills.  Sure I had babysat and worked in daycare.  That just means I thought I knew exactly what to do to be an awesome parent.  Then this little boy was placed in my arms and I remember riding in the wheel chair, down to the waiting car, wondering "How can they possibly be willing to send him home with me?  They have no idea if I can even take care of him.  I have no idea if I can take care of him!  I'm pretty sure I don't even want to go home and take care of him all by myself! Help!"
But we've muddled through, and I've learned A LOT!
I have him to thank, he's been a very gracious test subject. :)


Having this boy in my life and in my heart has also changed my relationship with God.  There are so many situations during my parenting journey where I have had an opportunity to draw parallels between my love for my son, and God's love for me.  Having a child has opened my eyes to just how much grace God gives me on a daily basis and how much God loves me even more than I can imagine. 


Many things have changed over the last 10 years: my hair style, where we live, the car we drive, the color of the walls in my house, the furniture we own, where the furniture is placed inside our house, my waistline, jobs, friends, the colors of the walls (wait did I already say that? Yeah, that's because they've changed a lot) and those are just a few examples.


But one thing that hasn't changed, is just how thankful I am that God chose me to be this little boys' Momma. 
As we move forward to the teen years, there are going to be a lot more changes, and a lot more mistakes (most of them mine).  But I'm looking forward to it all because there are also going to be a lot more memories, a lot more adventures, a lot more hugs and kisses,  a lot more bike rides, a lot more cuddles on the couch, a lot more family movie/game nights, a lot more "I love you momma"'s, and a whole lot more wonderful.

Welcome to 10 my wonderful, funny, handsome, kind, blue eyed boy. 
I think there will be a lot to enjoy. Pin It

No comments: